Skip navigation

Tag Archives: SERPs

A large company in the UK has suddenly appeared 2nd in the SERPS for our two main key phrases (they weren’t even ranked before this week). The thing that has got me confused is this:- say the phrase is ‘banana monkey’…this page that is #2 in the SERPS does not feature ‘banana’ anywhere on the page (I’ve checked the source code and everything.

So how did that happen?

By the way – the page has no inward links (internal or external) and has no PR

The PR didn’t work – they got back to me and just didn’t get what I was saying at all. I explained it further and still they didn’t get it. I guess my level of understanding isn’t the only barrier to entering the PR world.

Our rankings have been up and down a lot just lately. Our 2 main KW in particular dropped about 6 places (both at the same time interestingly).

Yesterday I spent some time writing in blogs and one of those KW is back where it was. There’s no way that the work I did yesterday has pulled through that quickly yet but it’s a nice feeling when you see them flick straight back up there. I also spent some time fishing for links, although the response has been far from overwhelming – as per usual I guess.

The trade fair yesterday was dead. The halls were half full and there was loads of free seating in all the restaurants where last year even the floor space was being fought after. Either people didn’t have the spare capital to invest in seeing next season’s products or loads of people have already gone bust. Last week was a real tough week for us, pretty much the worst week of the year so far.

I’ve been having a look at the SERPS over a longer timescale this week too and I’m impressed with the improvement listings wise but not with the traffic that we are getting. Given the improvement I really would have hoped for a more noticable increase. This may have something to do with the seasonality of some of our products. Actually that’s not true. We get slightly more traffic than we did this time last year but that is impressive as that traffic is 100% natural whereas this time last year we were spending £500 a year on PPC. Maybe I should be a little more impressed. My next goal is to get to page one for some of our periphery terms, we are hovering in the top few of page 2 at the minute for my favourite one.

I’m going to get more focus on to the second site this week – there’s loads more product that I could uploads and with new pricing from pretty much all of our suppliers I need to have a look through that too. One of our departments is called ‘things’ and we are now on page 9 of Google for the keyword ‘things’ 🙂 I don’t think that’s so bad for saying it’s not been live for long.

I’ve managed to get some product into the new site, and I’ve pretty much done all the keyword research that I can and come up with our main targets for the SERPs. I don’t have any firm pricing though so we can’t go live yet…then it’s the long slog from here on out. Plus our techy guy has NO eye for detail so I am constantly e-mailing him requesting changes in text or links when really he should be getting it right in the first instance.

Primary product periphery terms are starting to pick up now albeit pretty slowly.

On top of this our most recent batch of our most popular product is faulty AND we have no instructions for another so I have people shouting at me from all angles…keeps me on my toes though.

Apparently eBay are trying to move away from Auctions and go more for buy it nows rivalling Amazon. That sounds like nothing but fantastic news to me as my experience (within work) Amazon are incompetent to the point of negligent, allow illegal activity within the site un-monitored and have no drive for development in the slightest. A bit of competition may be just what they need.

We made it to page one for our three target KW within about 6 months of me starting here (we came from page 20 so personally I don’t think we did too bad). But then our focus changed – inspired by a change in the seasons. Unfirtunately we didn’t start working on the new terms until the season was upon us and so even though our SERPs for this second batch of KW did improve drastically, it just wasn’t enough.

So now I am putting my focus back onto the original products….periphery terms if you like. See the thing is that I actually think these periphery terms hold more value to us than the original terms did (I think we got our KW research wrong). As always we won’t know for sure until we get great SERPs and then I can analyse the difference in traffic etc.

Back to the title then, this week I have mostly been updating text.

We have over 100 product pages (probably a lot more – I have never actually counted) each within categories. I am basically sorting through each product to increase the density of the specific keyword (rather than the more vague ones we were using before). At the same time I’m trying to keep in the vague terms so that we don’t slip in the SERPs for those.

Thing is – we have.

The main problem being that we made 2 or 3 relatively large changes around the same time so I don’t know what has caused the (slight but still more than I am happy with) drop. It could just be natural forces and competiton but I don’t think so…

I’m going to keep plodding on making text changes but I’m also going to keep a watchful eye on our original KWs. Hopefully it’s just a blip.